Sunday, May 20, 2012

Inspirational Writers and Their Work


Before submitting my manuscript for the workshop, I shared with some of my friends who was interested in my writing. Especially my friend, Monica showed me a great deal of interest, and introduced me wonderful writers whom I had not been heard before.

Although I majored English Literature in the Chosun University in South Korea, I feel frequently ignorant about the literary background. Whenever my fellow writer relates to a reference work of the published writers, I am like a dummy. I do not understand their language. I feel even worse when most of the group seems to know them all. I didn't want to be left behind having lack of knowledge, so I decided to read sporadically. The first memoir book that I read was Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. The jaw-dropping, heart-wrenching, hand-sweating scenes are still carved in my brain. 

Memoir is the genre that I invest most of time. As much I enjoy reading a true story from real people, I believe I need to write a true story of mine. Besides the first person narration in one's real life is a powerful format.

Recently, however, I start to realize something never-failing. No matter what kind of writing is, whether non- fiction, fiction, or screen plays, if they speak the true value of life and lessons that all human needs to learn, I am inspired.

 The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

"Even though I was young, I could see the pain of the flesh and the worth of the pain." Ch. 2

"I discovered that maybe it was fate all along, that faith was just an illusion that somehow you're in control." Chapter 7, pg. 121

"I was no longer scared. I could see what was inside me." Chapter 3, pg. 59







  The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

“At times I feel as if I had lived all this before and that I have already written these very words, but I know it was not I: it was another woman, who kept her notebooks so that one day I could use them. I write, she wrote, that memory is fragile and the space of a single life is brief, passing so quickly that we never get a chance to see the relationship between events; we cannot gauge the consequences of our acts, and we believe in the fiction of past, present, and future, but it may also be true that everything happens simultaneously. ... That's why my Grandmother Clara wrote in her notebooks, in order to see things in their true dimension and to defy her own poor memory.”
Isabel Allende, The House of the Spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment